LT Doc

Thoughts on my life deployed as a ship's doctor

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Day Thirty-One

14 September 2006
Wow, a whole month has gone by. Amazing! Life on the ship has gotten a little hotter as we entered the Gulf. It is something! My water bottle was sweating as much as I was, and I am not even working in the hottest parts of the ship (frankly I avoid them at all cost). However, when I find myself with a heat complaint on my lips, I think of those in the sand, in the sun, wearing gear that weighs as much as half of me. They have no building with air conditioning, few fans, but hopefully, they at least have a little ice. My complaints will be few. The days seem to be going at a nice pace. I have settled into some routines and my spirit is picking up since I resumed exercising again. In fact, I have sore muscles this week. Since medical triage is a very large space with decent air conditioning (unlike the gym, though it is better than the flight deck!), I have arranged to have my Bos’n lead aerobics (yes, aerobics lead by my friend Bos’n McMiller who makes us all laugh as we make our muscles sore!) Monday and Wednesday and then we get the projector set up to do pilates on Tuesday and Friday while being led via DVD on the big screen. Thursdays I say that we are exercising our faith and spirituality while at woman’s bible study. That has been very enriching and Spirit-filled, and a few more people come each week. I always look forward to it!
We just received a ton of mail so the ship is happy reading their new magazines, eating their candy from home, and watching new DVDs, etc. I was one of the lucky ones and got a package from both Mom and husband. I am loved! Mom is an old pro at sending incredible packages, but I had never have gotten one from Kaalan before. It was a very fun first for us (at least fun for me!). I think that Kaalan is settling into me being away. Currently, he is motor-homing it up to Toronto to attend an ENT conference. He sounds great. I think that means I need to be coming home soon before he continues to sound too good without me there. Ha! I sure do miss him, though. We are able to talk at least twice a week and emailing has been pretty good. Because of his current schedule, he has more time to write and is home more so I can catch him on the phone. That has been such a blessing! I ask myself how anyone could ever leave a man like mine behind…homecoming will be so sweet, but I hardly ever let myself think about it. There is too much to do here right now, and home will be coming before I know it. I just am so happy Navy life is not like it was when Elma’s (Grandma Johnson’s) young husband was gone for two years during WWII--little communication, big torpedoes being aimed at you, and gone for so very long! I am so glad that she reminded me of that. Again, my complaints will be stuck on my tongue before they come out! Perspective and numerous blessings have made this time very rich so far. Thank you, Lord!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home